|conventional forest products|
All commercial roundwood products except fuelwood. includes boards, dimension lumber, pulp, and paper products (35).
- Transporting trees or parts of trees by carrying them completely off the ground rather than by pulling or dragging them along the ground. also known as prehauling.
- Harvest functions...
A length of cut tree generally having a round cross- section, such as a log or bolt (12).
A winch (19).
Ability of certain hardwood species to regenerate by producing many new shoots from a cut stump (35).
Aboveground portion of a tree, excluding the root system (29).
- Abrupt bend in a tree or log (24).
- The distortion of lumber in which there is a deviation,
Acres of forest land that are actually available for forest management. this involves future trends not only in forest growth but also in deletions from the land base (10).
Act of creating, within the limits of the existing stand, a uniform distribution of trees that provides optimum growing space for each tree by eliminating overcrowding. as a result, tree diameter ...
Act of making a fire safe after it has been controlled by extinguishing or removing burning material along or near a control line (6).
Actual amount of merchantable wood contained in a log as opposed to the gross scale, which includes defect (9).
остаточная стоимость; valore residuo; ликвидационная стоимость;
- Actual or assumed value of a machine after it has been fully depreciated (20).
- Остаточная стоимость
- The remaining equity in a fund or property.
- Usually refers ...
- Age of trees of the dominant forest type and stand-size class.
- Land classification
Air pump designed to put more air into engine cylinders; pump is driven by the exhaust heat (22).
Alabama, mississippi, texas, louisiana, arkansas, and tennessee. also known as the south (23).
|pacific coast states|
Alaska, washington, oregon, california, and hawaii (10).
All components of a tree, except the stump. also known as a full tree.
All merchantable trees on a setting to be yarded are felled (22).
All roundwood products except fuelwood (33).
All trees in a stand whose tops or crowns occupy a similar position in the canopy or crown cover (28).
Allocation of anticipated future forest timber yields to the present allowable cut; this is employed to increase current harvest levels (especially when constrained by evenflow) by spreading antic...
- Alteration or destruction of the soil structure by mechanical forces such as in shearing, compression, or tearing (7).
- Soil reaction nomenclature
gdnt; градиент; уклон; g; grad; градиент; функции;
- Amount by which the grade increases or decreases in a unit of horizontal distance (21).
- Уклон; градиент
- In tinting lenses, application of dye to a len...
влажность; влагосодержание; содержание влаги;
- Amount of water present in a material such as wood or soil. generally expressed as a percentage of the material s ovendry weight.
- The weight of moisture contained in a piece of timb...
|net annual growth of sawtimber|
- Annual change in volume of live sawtimber trees plus total volume of trees reaching sawtimber size, minus volume losses resulting from natural causes.
- Quality classes
|net annual growth of growing stock|
- Annual change in volume of sound wood in live sawtimber and poletimber trees, plus total volume of sound wood in live sawtimber and poletimber trees, plus total volume of trees entering these ...
Any activity that enhances and/or recovers forest growth or harvest yield, such as site preparation, planting, thinning, fertilization, and harvesting.
Any cable system that depends on the force of gravity for downhill travel of the carriage (20).
- Any plain (or plains) of unconsolidated fluvial or marine sediment that had its margin on the shore of a large body of water, particularly the sea. (for example, the atlantic coastal plain of ...
Any silvicultural treatment with the desired end result being the removal of the overstory component from the growing stock of a multistoried stand. examples are outright harvest, girdling, and si...
Any thinning in which the unwanted trees are killed by chemical poisoning; band or frill girdling may be done at the same time (26). химическая букетировка;
Any tree forming or selected to form a component of the final crop. the tree is usually selected when the stand or plantation is young (26).
Any tree whose seeds are used to produce progeny for use in genetic experimentation. usually the parent tree is selected because it displays characteristics either interesting from a research stan...
Application of silvicultural practices for the perpetual production of commercial timber crops. includes all activities from stand establishment through delivery of commercial timber (logs) to a l...
Arbitrary term for small sawtimber trees.
Area bounded by the length and lateral yarding width of any given skyline setting (32).
- Area of dry land and land temporarily or partially covered by water such as marshes, flood plains, streams, sloughs, and estuaries. canals less than 1/8 mile wide, and lakes, reservoirs, and p...
Area of ground laid out to determine the effects of a certain method of treatment. опытный участок;
Area of timber designated for harvest (32).
- Area on which timber has been killed by fire, flooding, insects, or disease (19).
- The use of damping material.
Area prepared to receive seeds, such as an area cleared of plants and duff, so that natural seed fall can establish a new forest (17). семенное ложе; почва для посева; пашня;
Area to be logged; a block or strip.
посадка; высадка; посев; сев; озеленение;
- Artificial regeneration method in which a new stand of trees is established by restocking the area with tree seedlings.
- Floral décor to enhance the appearance of the exhibi...
As used in the eastern and western regions: layout, on a topographical map, of roads, landings, and setting boundaries of a logging area.
- Attachment to whole-tree chippers that separates acceptable chips from unacceptable bark, limbs, and foliage (3).
- Portion of a chipper that includes a chipper spout for the separati...
Average annual increase in the biomass of growing-stock trees of a specified area (30).
Ax used to stamp brands into logs (19).
Badly splintered end of a felled tree that has been cut back to sound wood (12).
Bees that form the uppermost canopy layer in a forest of more than one story (20).
Blade on a crawler used to clear unwanted vegetation in preparation for planting tree seedlings (17).
Blade that can be tilted in respect to a vertical position (22).
- Blaze set in front of an advancing forest fire in an effort to check the wildfire by cutting off its fuel supply.
- Встречный пожар для прекращения лесного пожара
Block fixed to a stump at the outer edge of a setting (in ground-lead and high-lead cable logging) or to the tail spar (in skyline cable logging), through which the haul-back line is reeved for re...
|main line block|
Block on a spar through which the main line runs (32).
Block used to guide the haul-back line (26).
Block which, in tight-skyline systems, can be lowered to pick up loads on the ground and then raised as required for hauling them onto the landing. the block is long and narrow, with the pulley wh...
- Botanical grouping of trees that are usually evergreen and have needlelike or scalelike leaves. also known as conifers and coniferous trees (33).
- Generally, one of the botanical gro...
Boundary line marked by blazed or painted trees indicating the cutting area (8).
обрубка; рубка; измельчение;
- Breaking or cutting trees into small pieces of controlled fiber length.
- Harvest functions
- Treatment of a hardened concrete surface by chiseling.
- Разделение на ...
Brush under a stand of timber (19).
Cab on a machine that is hinged on one side and can be tilted back and lowered for transport (23).
Cab suitable for an all-weather operation, may be heated or air conditioned (23).
Cable logging system generally restricted to one skidding line and used for winching logs up to 300 feet from the cutting area to a log collection point (17).
Cable system capable of skidding f logs for 3,000 feet or more (17).
Cable yarding method in which the main line lead block is hung on a stump. the logs are not lifted from the ground (22).
Cable yarding with grapple instead of chokers (22).
- Cableway stretched tautly between two spar trees and used as a track for a skyline carriage (22).
- The outline of buildings against the background of the sky.
- Очертание го...
Capacity of an object or soil to resist shearing stresses (20).
Carrier-mounted, single-action, anvil shear used in mechanized cutting operations. blade is drawn through the tree, toward the carrier (9).
Category of forest defined primarily by its vegetative composition and/or locality factors (17).
Centrifugal pump, driven by an engine, that rotates in a case filled with oil (22).
Characteristic arrangement of spur roads in relation to each other (22).
- Chemical that kills fungi; used to control fungal diseases in greenhouses and nurseries (17).
- A substance that is poisonous to fungi; retards or prevents the growth of fungi.
Chip volume equal to 1 cord of pulpwood (24).